Thursday, May 3, 2007

Hornbooks, Commercial Outlines and the Like

So far, hornbooks have been an invaluable expenditure. But not because they have any value as far as learning the law goes. No, they're worth it because they let me sleep better. They make me feel better about exams. Most of them have been bought on someone else's recommendation, and then tossed aside. Others actually have some value. Some seemed useful my first quarter, and now I read them and get nothing.

Here's what I recommend for UChicago:
Understanding Property - great, all around
Understanding Torts - more useful first quarter when I was confused about everything
Civ Pro E&E - useful for jurisdiction stuff, especially on the brief
Understanding Crim - good for trying to figure out if you actually ever learn anything in crim (answer: very little)
Emmanuel's - only useful when keyed to the book, and then, invaluable

Not recommended:
Gilbert's on Property, by Dukeminer - got nothing out of this. A super outline of all of property, written like the common law was codified. Not useful for my purposes. Understanding Property gives ambiguities and conflicting cases, as well as minor discusison of such issues. No such luck here.
Torts E&E - didn't find this useful, barely looked through it. Understanding answered my questions more clearly.
BarBri Outline - not sure why I have this, I've gotten nothing out of it.

I haven't bought many others, or I don't know enough about them to give any advice one way or the other

No comments: